Image Map

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tried It Tuesday: Summer Book Study... You Pick!

Over the school year I never get a chance to read professional development books but over the summer I'm all about it!  This summer I have three new additions to my library: Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess, Word Nerd by Brenda J. Overturf, and Guided Math by Laney Sammons.  I'm linking up today with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried It Tuesday because I am trying my first ever online book study!  Technically I'm not starting it until this summer but I wanted the voting to start now :o)  Here is a rundown of all three books!


Teach Like a Pirate

Based on Dave Burgess's popular "Outrageous Teaching" and "Teach Like a PIRATE" seminars, this book offers inspiration, practical techniques, and innovative ideas that will help you to increase student engagement, boost your creativity, and transform your life as an educator. You'll learn how to: • Tap into and dramatically increase your passion as a teacher • Develop outrageously engaging lessons that draw students in like a magnet • Establish rapport and a sense of camaraderie in your classroom • Transform your class into a life-changing experience for your students This groundbreaking inspirational manifesto contains over 30 hooks specially designed to captivate your class and 170 brainstorming questions that will skyrocket your creativity. Once you learn the Teach Like a PIRATE system, you'll never look at your role as an educator the same again.

I have heard many good things about this book and wanted to see how it could help me become a better teacher.  Usually my book studies are more geared toward amping up a particular subject (as you can tell by the other two choices) but this one just spoke to me about amping up ME as an educator. 


Word Nerd

 
Word Nerds takes you inside classrooms at a high-poverty urban school and shows how two teachers implement creative, flexible vocabulary instruction that improves their students' word knowledge and confidence, enhances classroom community, and increases achievement.

I've actually already started reading this one and REALLY like it!  There are TONS of amazing ideas to teach, and have my students actually remember after the test, new vocabulary words.  Another good point for this book is that there is a free preview online, but the "preview" is actually the whole book!


Guided Math

Use a practical approach to teaching mathematics that integrates proven literacy strategies for effective instruction. This professional resource will help to maximize the impact of instruction through the use of whole-class instruction, small-group instruction, and Math Workshop. Incorporate ideas for using ongoing assessment to guide your instruction and increase student learning, and use hands-on, problem-solving experiences with small groups to encourage mathematical communication and discussion.

Now I know that Guided Math was a big book study last summer but now that I am most likely going back to teaching math next year, I wanted to give it a go.  There are also new teachers/bloggers out there that might want to try it as well.  That all being said I have not met one blogger who did not LOVE this book and implement it this year!

What summer book study would you like to see?  Please leave a comment if you would like to participate with your email and once the votes are in I will send a Google Doc for all those who want to participate by hosting a chapter.  I know some of you might only want to participate if it is a particular book and that is okay, I will ask for volunteers again once the final book has been chosen!  I plan on starting the book study around the beginning of June so be on the look out!




15 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am actually voting for 2. The Word Nerd, is the one I chose on the poll, but I like the idea of the pirate one as well. Can't wait to see which one is chosen.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing Word Nerds-that sounds right up my alley! And I will take advantage of the free preview right now. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Heather. Word Nerd is already open in another window. The ELA teacher in me is super excited about a free resource!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what book is picked - I've heard a lot of great things about Teach Like a Pirate but they all sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they all sound great, so I'm in no matter what book gets chosen!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! This looks like fun. I chose Word Nerd! Can't wait to see which one is chosen. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all sound great. Like Joanne, I'm in no matter what is chosen.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to help out with a book study! I made my choice but they all sound good! Can't wait to see what wins!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful, Sabra!! Guided Math is on my reading list this summer too but Word Nerd has my vote because I am intrigued by it. Thanks so much for taking the steps to organize this:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great idea! My vote is Word Nerd! or as a second choice, Teach Like A Pirate. They both sounds terrific. Thanks for the effort to organize a book study!
    ~Nancy
    mommawray@icloud.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for doing this!! I voted for Teach Like a Pirate because.. well.. it looks the best! I'd also be in for Word Nerd. I hope it isn't the math one since that "other" teacher's book club is doing a math one and I'd love to see something relevant to us ELA only people!
    :)
    Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  12. My vote is for Word Nerd and I want to thank you for sharing these recommendations to your readers :) These are fantastic ideas to keep the kids engaged and interested! I thought I would share a book that I have recently read with you and other teachers looking for a little bit more motivation as the year drags on. It is a biography about a young revolutionary teacher, Jhumki Basu, who battled breast cancer and fought for change in the inner city school systems written by her father, Dipak Basu. The book is called “Mission to Teach” (http://missiontoteach.org/). She taught tough teenage immigrants and minorities, often from violent environments, unable to break out of a vicious cycle of neglect and poverty in New York city. She wanted to ensure that students were engaged, listened to, and empowered. She had a revolutionary teaching idea – including students in curriculum development. High school completion rates in the undeserved institutions she touched, and those touched by teachers who have followed her model, have risen from 30% to over 90% . Kids, whom Jhumki and her followers worked for, were candidates for a lifetime of drugs and crime. They are today college graduates and on their way to careers of their dreams. A beautifully written and inspiring book that teachers should definitely put on their must read list. Her method of democratic teaching showed REAL results :) Hope it will entertain, inspire and help you in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just voted as well! I can't wait to see which one is chosen. I would love to help out as well.

    ~Diving Into Learning

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would LOVE to help if Word Nerds is chosen as it is already on my summer reading list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to email you but you are a no-reply blogger so it wouldn't let me :o( I wanted to send you the sign up sheet for the summer book study. If you email me I can send it to you!

      Thanks,
      Sabra

      Delete