Image Map

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Social Studies Sundays: Colonial Simulation

Today I'm going to show you a Colonial Simulation that I found somewhere on the internet (if anyone knows where please let me know and I will give credit where credit is due) but I don't have any pictures of my kids doing it because this group of students are going to give it a go tomorrow and I will be at a two day Common Core training.  I'm bummed because it is one of my favorite simulations and I will miss watching them problem solve, use their critical thinking skills and different background knowledge to figure out how they will survive in this new land.  Click on the picture below to download your copy of the simulation.  It is two pages (front and back) and you will also need the map.


The wonderful thing about this simulation is that I can pass out this bag full of goodies and that's it.  My job is done.  From here on out the students explore, discuss and learn.  It's a very impressive sight to watch.  I include the two simulation scenarios (Moving to the Colonies and Choosing the Best Location for Your Colony), the map for the location scenario, a glossary of what all the terms on the map mean, a blank sheet of notebook paper to work out their math, a set of directions and a jobs sheet.  Each student has a job, just as they do in literature circles, and that is their role throughout the entire simulation.  My cohort from last year made the glossary and job chart so I will ask her if she's okay with me posting them and hopefully add them tomorrow!  Although if you need this ASAP you could create the jobs that will work in your room and I know she found all the terms online :o)


Just think of this as the Colonial version of Oregon Trail.  Have y'all ever played that game?  I used to LOVE it as a kid.  We would always call across the room during free time, "Brittney, you died from a snake bite!" and other ridiculous things like that, lol.  I hope you and your kids enjoy the simulation!


Don't forget to check out Jessica's blog, Joy in the Journey, for her 200 Follower Giveaway!  Besides having some AMAZING prizes to giveaway, she's always got great ideas!  Definitely somebody worth following if you are not already :o)


4 comments:

  1. Great lesson and so much information. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative! I just love how you gave your friend a shout out too! How sweet!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much! Colonial Virginia is *not* my favorite subject to teach and this will help make it more interesting..for the kids AND for me!

    Hokie Teach

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Our next unit is on colonial America, and I was looking for something fun to integrate with it. Thanks for sharing for free!

    ReplyDelete