Image Map

Monday, May 27, 2013

Must Have Mondays: 7 hour Interactive Sub Plans

It's Monday again and you know what that means!  It's Must Have Mondays!!!!  What is something that you cannot live without in your classroom or just everyday life?  Link up below and tell us your secret to surviving the day and see what others are doing as well.  To find out more about Must Have Mondays and how to link up check out my previous post :o)


This week for Must Have Monday I am featuring I'm Lovin Lit's 7-Hour Complete Sub Plans Thematic Unit A Zoo Day!  Now I did not realize this was a "must have" until last week threw me a curve ball and my copies for the sub did not come back in time and I had to scramble at 5:30pm to find something else for them to do with a first time sub during the last full week of school... WORST. NIGHTMARE. EVER.

Luckily, I had just seen Erin post about how excited she was that her Zoo Day Sub Plans were featured in TPT's newsletter (how awesome is that?!).  I thought, "Why not give it a try?  I have NOTHING else, lol."  Now some of you might be thinking, "Don't you have a sub tub, or extra worksheets and what not lying around?"  Usually I do, but it was the last full week of school and my kids were going crazy and I knew busy work was not going to help the behavior issues we had been having lately.  So I took a shot and downloaded both of Erin's Roller Coaster Day and Zoo Day.


These packets are amazing!  They include ALL the subjects (even science and social studies), are aligned with the Common Core, come in different levels for different grades, and they get to make a fun lapbook of all their information at the end.  I'm sort of jealous that the sub got to have fun and create these with the kids and not me, haha.  BONUS = It comes with sub plans typed out for each section as well.  You can't beat that!  Now I printed off the Zoo Day for my kiddos but Jessica over at Ideas by Jivey has actually done the Roller Coaster Day with her kiddos and let me snag a picture to show you what it can look like!  You can read about her experience here.


The kids LOVED it and they were much better behaved this day than with the sub and independent work the day before!  I would highly recommend this to anyone who will be needing sub plans or just needs a great end of the year activity - I know I'm using them again!  Don't forget to link up your "must have" for the week and include the button to bring others back here so they can see more great ideas!  I would also love if you would leave some comment love for the other fabulous bloggers that link up (who doesn't love comments!).  Hope you had a fabulous Memorial Day!



6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I'm "babysitting" the kids who didn't qualify for our No Late Work Club end-of-the-year celebration which is off-site and during the school day. So I will have a bunch of kids from a variety of homerooms for most of the day. I think that I found a winner!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get smart like you, Sabra, and have a sub packet. Less work for me! Instead of writing all those detailed plans... Gonna check out the ones you suggested. THANKS!

    Thanks also for hosting this fun linky! I'm hosting a School Story linky. Come on over and tell your story... School Story Linky

    Have a GREAT week,
    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought the zoo one yesterday for my kiddos! I'm going to use it this Wednesday for our last week of school. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that Jessica posted about this last week! I am going to have to check this out!

    Thanks for hosting!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the roller coaster unit when I went on my cruise-my sub and my students loved it!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this linky! I will be back on Monday!

    Sarah
    The Eager Teacher

    ReplyDelete