Here is my quick run down of Chapter 4!
Thoughts and Ideas:
- LOVED how they used the dictionary and thesaurus as a constant resource! My kids use them, but as a last resort. They dread having to open a BIG book, haha, but hopefully it will just become second nature to them now.
- I'm also really liking how they keep referencing the Common Core Standards. I don't know about y'all but in our county (at least for grades 3-12) it is all new and will be rolled out next year. So any little bit can help and it's always nice to know that should my methods ever be called into question, I have the proof to back it up!
- "Velcro Words" = words that will stick to your brain (totally stealing this).
- "Juicy Words" = impressive synonyms or antonyms (we call them Jeopardy Words in my room but same concept).
- Code Switching - so important! Some of my kiddos don't have the most supportive home life and the kids in their neighborhood might make fun of them for using big words or think that my student is acting "uppity." As sad as that is, it's a fact of life. With Code Switching, we are teaching our kids when it is appropriate to use those Jeopardy Words. Now some might be able to share their words at home and their families will foster that conversation more but same might not. Great tool!
- I always worried with non-examples. I had students that would get confused and misinterpret their vocabulary word but after reading this chapter I think it was more of the way I taught. I need to delve deeper into my non-examples so students really understand the breakdown of their vocabulary word. This one was all on me and I hope to do better next year!
- The lanyards!!! I have been waiting for this part since I got the book and saw the students on the cover, haha! Even though I teach intermediate, I really liked what they did in the primary classroom with the lanyards. I thought that was a brilliant idea for students to line up by synonyms or antonyms, taking it a step further and switching, etc. I am TOTALLY doing that this year! If you need lanyards (like this girl) I found that Oriental Trading has a TON to choose from for a fair price. Some are just lanyards and some have a badge attached so you might need to go exploring to find what you're looking for here.
Well that's all I've got on this chapter! Don't forget to check out Kelly's blog above and link up your thoughts and ideas on Chapter 4 as well :o)