Image Map

Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday Made It: "Where Is Our Class?" Sign

It's back, it's back, it's back!!!  Tara's weekly Monday Made It is back and now that summer is here I can actually participate again!
This weekend I made a new and improved "Where is our class?" sign for outside our door.  Now... apparently I forgot how OCD/perfectionist I was when it came to crafty things like this because this was ridiculous!  Little details that other people might not notice BUT I DO, drove me insane and hiccups that I didn't expect made me want to scream, lol.  My poor husband had to put up with me the whole time!  Such a good man!  As I show you the steps for this process I will tell you what I did and what you should not do and what will probably save you some anxiety. :o)

We begin with a round cookie sheet and some Rustoleum (I used Satin: Eden color).  I spray painted it twice and it was perfect!  BUT when I went to flip it over to get the front for it's second coat the Florida heat had made my already dry and perfect front side bubble and stick to the boxes holding it up :o(  Since it is a nonstick pan, it peeled off quite easily.  At this point I am NOT a happy camper and my husband, who is in construction, is telling me how this is nonstick and I should have probably primed it and all the logical things I don't really want to hear but should have before I began.  Welllllll it's too late so we have to deal with it!  He sees my frustration and being the wonderful husband he is, he immediately tells me all the ways to fix it, and he did :o)  Just love him!  My advice would be to only spray it twice!  After that you start to get a matte grimy look and not pretty satin.


Here it is all painted!  Now, had I not let it dry outside in the humidity I probably would have had no problem.  On the second coat we brought it inside (no smell) and all was well in the crafting world.


Once all the paint was dry I attached the SUPER CUTE Polka Dotted Apples (Freebie) from Ashley over at the School Supply Addict.  I typed out all the different places we would be and left one blank for Field Trips or other teachers classrooms or just working hard.


I laminated them with my new personal laminator thanks to everyone who linked up theirs on the first Must Have Monday!  I just love it!  I attached the Velcro circles to them so I could switch the labels out if I ever needed.  Now comes my next overly ridiculous OCD moment.  The vinyl lettering from the Cameo.  I wanted white vinyl but Michael's didn't have it :o(  So we went with black and I'm very happy with it!

For some reason I had a really hard time trying to center this and did the best I could but once I started using the rub on stick I chipped a little of the paint off.  They are not joking when they say NONSTICK y'all!  When you see the final product just don't mind the little ding, I have to clean that up, lol.  I then super glued two strips of big ol' ribbon on the back and tied them in a knot (I'll be switching that to a pretty bow soon) and voila!  Ready to hang outside my classroom door :o)

Here she is in all her glory!  I'm just missing the clothes pin that will travel around the edge whenever we move!


I can't wait to see what everyone else made this week so don't forget to head on over to Tara's blog, 4th Grade Frolics, and link up for Monday Made It!


20 comments:

  1. Your sign came out adorable. I have a couple of pizza pans that I bought to do projects last summer. I guess it's time to find them :-)

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing!! I've tried spray painting cookie sheets for other projects and have had no luck.. I will have to try your husband's advice and prime it first.

    Krista
    Stellar-Students

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I love how it turned out!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute! I love how you used the apples. I tend to get overly concerned about details when making a craft project, also. :)

    Sarah
    Miss A's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! This is definitely going on my summer to do list!
    ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used the apples! I've been brainstorming for a project to use them :)

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these!! Are they in your TPT Store? I am working on a Theme Pack, and I would love to provide a link!

    Kaci
    Mrs. Hoffer's Spot

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute is that?? Super cute! Love it...but totally wouldn't be able to make one because I'm like you...it would have to be perfect and I'd probably give up before it was! Yours looks awesome!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable, Sabra!!! Thanks for sharing!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SO cute, Sabra!! I am so happy you got a laminator! You will be just searching for things to laminate now:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea!! I am OCD too and I probably would have cried if those things happened to me. But I am still going to pin this and put it on my want to make it list...
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! Such cuteness:) I think I just added something to my to do list!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how it came out!!! I am a perfectionist about those kinds of things too. I end up spray painting every summer, then asking myself why as it bubble ups and I flip out. I swore off it officially. But now I just ordered something that just needs painting so guess what I will be doing very soon?

    Thanks for sharing such a lovely project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! I need to refresh mine

    ReplyDelete
  15. After all your hard work, it turned out so cute! I refuse to spray paint anymore. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love! That's such a great idea. Too bad you had to go through so much work to get it though :)

    Angie
    Teaching with Class

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Super cute...thanks for the painting tips :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete