Image Map

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Workshop Wednesday: Integrating Science into Reading

Today I'm linking up with one of my BBB's Jivey from Ideas by Jivey for her Workshop Wednesday!  Today is all about incorporating science into your reading block!
 


I'm cheating just a smidge here...  One of my favorite all time pieces of science literature to use in reading is not actually a trade book but is our SuperScience magazine from Scholastic.  I got a subscription this past year through DonorsChoose and it is one of the best things I ever got for my classroom.  I will definitely be buying it again for next year (and no, no one paid me to say that)!  It is a fabulous source of real-world science that pulls students in with their intriguing pictures, text features, and informational text and gives the teacher STEM & Common Core Connections, video links, games, graphic organizers and quizzes to help supplement the text.  Each month we get a new copy that comes with anywhere from 8-10 articles about different concepts. A MUST HAVE for every intermediate classroom!




The Reading Nook has a list of numerous science related children's books grouped by concepts.  When you choose which concept you would like, a collection of books that work for that category pop up!  The different categories are Oceans, Rainforest, Ecology, Simple Machines, Rocks, Human Body, Weather, Space, Food Chain, Animal & Life Cycle, and Plant & Life Cycle.  This is a definitely a resource you'll want to remember.  Here is just some of page one for space!

 
The Science Method Website is another website full of wonderful books to help you incorporate science into your reading block.  Downside: the titles are grouped in any way, but most of the titles are giveaways as to what subject it covers.  Upside: when you click on the title, you get a PDF of all the amazingness the book has to offer (readability level, observation, classification, science concepts, vocabulary, summary, comments, other books that are like that one and SO much more).  Click on the photo below to take you to this list of trade books.
https://www.msu.edu/~stanawa8/Booklist.htm
I hope these resources help you incorporate more science literature into your reading block!  Head on over to Jivey's blog and check out what everyone else is reading!


4 comments:

  1. Those magazines are awesome! I need to check that out for next year! My kids love magazines, so it would be a win-win for me! That Science Methods website looks really awesome too! Thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Sabra! You have shared some amazing links!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww.....I wish I would have known about the Super Science magazine back in January when we had to do our budgets for next year. That one definitely would have made our list! :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just pinned all of this! I think I too will write a Donors Choose next year for the Super Science magazine. I am notorious for throwing away some of the advertisements that Scholastic sends. I need to pay better attention when they come in!
    Good luck on FCAT!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete