Image Map

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tried It Tuesday: Human Body Lapbook

 Oh my gosh!  It has been soooo long but I finally feel like I'm back to my old blogging self again!  Do you ever get in those "funks" where you feel like you're not so sure about your choices in life?  For a better portion of this year I kept asking myself, "Is this really what teaching is all about now?"  I didn't like the route we were taking in our county.  Luckily I have great admin who are very supportive of their teachers but it's still hard sometimes when the powers that be want you to do something else.  Thankfully we have scaled back a little and are letting teachers do what they do best.  TEACH.   I'm happy to blog all about our new adventures now ;o)
 
I'm linking up with my girl Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried It Tuesday!  Again it has been a long time since I've done this (SORRY HOLLY!) but I have found something worth blogging for that I tried and wanted to let you in on it. 
 
http://fourthgradeflipper.blogspot.com/
 
My friend Nick over at Sweet Rhyme and Pure Reason helped me out in a pinch when our unit on the Human Body came up.  Now let me tell you, teaching the human body to class of ten years olds that is dominated by the male gender is a scary undertaking, lol.  It wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be and my kiddos were GREAT!  So mature and full of thoughtful questions.  If you know me you know I can't ONLY use the textbook... It would make me twitch.  Nick sent over his Human Body Lapbook and my kids loved it!  It was a new twist on their interactive notebooks and they have already requested another one.
 

 
I'm going to start off by saying that there is way more in the pack than what I used!  Based on my state standards, I did not have to cover everything that Nick included but it was nice to have as extras or bonus in case my standards ever change again.  We started off by creating a KLEW chart and gluing it to the back of the file folder.  The students filled in what they already knew about the human body and as we went along in our unit, they filled this out more and more.
 
 
We used a variety of resources to find our information!  Our textbook was a big resource but we supplemented it with our leveled readers, Science Weekly, BrainPop and StudyJam videos, our interactive lessons and of course... Steve.
 
 
 
There is plenty of space inside each flap for your students to write all the information they collect.  Which was nice because I didn't get a thousand, "How much do we have to write?"  When they saw they still had a lot of room left to write, they researched more!
 
 
 
 
The lapbook contains flaps for the eleven human body systems, cells, and homeostasis.  It also has a table included that tells the students everything inside that organ system along with everything you need on how to assemble the lapbook!
 
For a limited time you can find the Human Body Lapbook along with eight other intermediate science activities included in this Science Bundle from Educents for only $10.99!


Check out these other amazing products included in the bundle!  










I promise you won't regret this purchase!  I have everything in this bundle and LOVE/USE it all!
 
Hop on over to Holly's blog to see what everyone else tried today!  Happy Tuesday y'all!
 

4 comments:

  1. This looks SO neat! I remember teaching the human body in 4th grade. Every single year we ended up discussing poop and corn, and what it looks like coming out. Inevitable with males in 4th grade. :)

    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you and your kids liked the lapbook! It's so cool to see other classes out there in the world using stuff I made for my own kiddos!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to share this with my teaching partner! She teaches Math and Science to our 4th graders. Thanks for sharing!
    Pam
    Rockin Resources Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lapbook design of Nick's product! Thanks so much for linking up, BBB (sorry it has taken me so long to get to commenting on your post!). XXOO
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete