Image Map

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Notice When You Lose Your Way

Does anyone else feel as if this is week 27 as opposed to week 7 of school?  It might just be our school but I have honestly never felt this stressed and slammed before, add in trying to plan a wedding... HA!  Needless to say, blogging has sadly been put on the back burner (even though my mind has still been going a million miles a minute with ideas).

We continue our journey through the Comprehension Tool Kit with the mini-lesson: Notice When You Lose Your Way.  The kids were so funny with this one!  You should have seen their eyes when they realized that myself and other students felt the same way they did sometimes and we all lose our way while reading.  We made this anchor chart of reasons why we lose our way and how we can fix it when it happens.  Not necessarily how to fix that specific problem but the problem in general.

 
We followed this up by reading a scientific article (because that is when I lose my way, lol!) and read a chunk at a time and used three different strategies that we came up with from the chart above.  Also a great way to show the students that reading is cross curricular.  I continually refer back to this chart and it has a place of honor on our wall so students can always refer to it when necessary.  I am finding, as with most things, that the more I refer to the anchor chart the more they talk about it while they read.  During our guided reading groups they are the first to admit when they've lost their way and which strategy would be the best to fix it, without my support!  Loving it!!! 

 Sabra

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm kind of new to your blog, and I'm wondering what Comprehension tool kit you are talking about? Is it a TPT unit or a book that you have? Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis' Comprehension Tool Kit. Our school bought a set for each teacher and I really like it so far! If your school can't swing it, writing a grant for it would definitely be worth it :o) Here is the website, check it out! http://comprehensiontoolkit.com/

    ReplyDelete